1890 - Opening of the BLM
Because of the topography, the Lauterbrunnen-Mürren Mountain Railway (BLM) has been divided into two sections. A funicular operates between Lauterbrunnen and the Grütschalp mountain station, and a narrow-gauge railway between the Grütschalp and Mürren. The BLM was inaugurated in 1891, after the owner suffered a setback just before the opening: during a test drive, a car derailed, which is why the opening ceremony had to be delayed by two months.
2006 - Aerial cableway replaces funicular
The funicular of the BLM was located in a landslip area with a slope of 60% and operation was endangered. Thus in 2005, Jungfrau Railways decided to replace the funicular with an aerial cableway at a cost of 23 million francs. The aerial cableway went into operation on 16 April 2006, greatly increasing passenger and freight capacity between Lauterbrunnen and Mürren.