The Jungfraubahnen AG commissioned construction of today’s hydroelectric power station on the Schwarze Lütschine River in 1906/08 for the purpose of generating electricity for the railway. Over the years, minor and major renewal and modernisation works have been carried out without any substantial alteration to the basic building structure. The distinctive machine house, now slightly hidden by the bushes and trees on the river banks, was constructed according to plans drawn up by the architectural offices of Haller& Schindler, Zurich.
On 29 October 1890, Adolf Guyer-Zeller, Zurich received a permit for construction of a water plant on the Schwarze Lütschine in Lütschental
The construction work began at the end of November 1906. The construction was carried out by the Alioth electricity company in Müchenstein-Basel as general contractor. The architects Haller & Schindler in Zurich were responsible for the design and the construction
After only two years of construction, the power plant could be commissioned on 3 November 1908. Equipment of the central site: 4 Pelton turbines each with 1,370 HP with generators of 1,000 kV A each, 7,500 volts, 400 rev/Min., 40Hz
Through the rewinding of the generators 1 through 4 by the Haefely Basel company, the output of the four generators could each be increased to 1,150 kV A in 1916
In 1923, the four machine groups were rebuilt for frequencies between 40 and 50 Hz, or 400 and 500 rev/min.
A fifth machine group with a 2,900 HP turbine and 2,500 kV A generator could be put into operation in 1926. The five machines were operational until 2010
Starting in 1932, the Jungfrau Railways distribution network could be operated with the Bernese power plants BKW in the interconnected system
In 1960, the final phase of the Jungfrau Railways high-voltage grid at 16 kV and 50 Hz was completed. The frequency converter from 40 Hz to 50 Hz could be permanently shut down
On 27 October 2003, work began on the new water intake and weir system in Burglauenen. On 19 August 2005, the new weir system had a celebratory inauguration
Due to the age of the existing machines, the new construction of the production facility was launched in 2008. The work of project "G55" was successfully completed in 2011. Newly in operation are 2 vertical, 6-nozzle Pelton turbines, which together have an installed capacity of 11.5 MW. Each year approximately 55 GWh of electricity is now generated from approximately 35 GWh