In 1894, Adolf Guyer-Zeller sketched out the plan for a railway from Kleine Scheidegg to the summit of the Jungfrau. He managed to obtain a licence and began construction in 1896. The opening of the railway, which operated using three-phase current, was implemented in stages: in 1898 as far as Eigengletscher, then to Rotstock in 1899, 1903 to Eigerwand and 1905 to Eismeer. On 1 August, Jungfrau Railways went into operation as far as Jungfraujoch, which remains the terminal station to this day.
In 1951, the 3.5 km adhesion railway section was also converted to cog rail operation, due to economic considerations. In 1960, the frequency was converted from 40 to 50 Hz and, in 1964, the overhead wire voltage was increased from 650 to 1,125 volts. From 1955–1964, ten railcars and control cars replaced the old Rowan trains. Since 1992, modern double railcars have been added to the rolling stock.
The book was published in 2003, it has 160 pages and its author is Florian Inäbnit.
Book: Jungfrau Railways - The Jungfrau Railways Kleine Scheidegg - Jungfraujoch Line (in German)
A book about Jungfrau Railways, 160 pages, German