On 14 June 1893, the first trains from Wilderswil-Gsteig chugged along the Schynige Platte. The 7.3 km route, with a maximum incline of 25%, had two iron bridges, four stone viaducts and four tunnels. As early as 1894, there was the threat of financial problems, leading to the liquidation of the old company. In the end, Bernese Oberland Railways (BOB) purchased the Schynige Platte Railway for 200,000 francs.
In 1914, four locomotives on the railway began electrical operation.
Starting in 1936, there was active vehicle exchange with the Wengernalp Railway (WAB), which had the same track gauge of 800 mm. The Schynige Platte Railway later purchased various locomotives and passenger cars from the WAB.
Between the years 1992 and 2003, 12 passenger cars were furnished with new carriages. However, there is still a steam locomotive from 1894 for nostalgic trips.
The book was published in 2003, it has 192 pages and its author is Hansueli Brawand
Book: Schynige Platte Railway - The Mountain Route of Bernese Oberland Railways (in German)
A book about the Schynige Platte Railway, 192 pages, German