On 1 July 1890, Bernese Oberland Railways reached the spa towns of Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald. Since 20 June 1893, the longest cog railway in Switzerland has directly linked these two locations. Maintaining access throughout the year to the car-free spa town of Wengen required the construction of a second, favourably located route from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen in 1910. At the same time, the railway could be converted to electrical operation.
With the opening of Jungfrau Railways and the rise in winter sports traffic, the railway gained increasing significance. Winter operation was gradually extended to Kleine Scheidegg, which specifically required the construction of numerous avalanche barriers on the Grindelwald side. The attempts to replace the railway at Grindelwald by an aerial gondola were achieved by a recently completed reconstruction programme.
The book was published in 2006, it has 352 pages and its author is Florian Inäbnit.
Book: Wengernalp Railway - Jungfrau Railways Lauterbrunnen-Kleine Scheidegg-Grindelwald Line (in German)
A book about the Wengernalp Railway, 352 pages, German