The Bernese Oberland Railway opens up the Lütschinen valleys and, with its blue-yellow trains, connects Interlaken Ost with Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen. As a rule, two trains are coupled together until Zweilütschinen, where they are separated. One train travels onwards to Lauterbrunnen, the other to Grindelwald. All compositions can be coupled together for shuttle purposes, with the locomotive always positioned on the uphill end of the train. A control car with driver's cab is positioned on the downhill end to avoid any switching manoeuvres at turning stations.
The railway began operating in 1890 and was electrified in 1914. With ongoing adjustments to the infrastructure, constant improvements have been made to quality, safety and timetable stability. With the newly procured vehicles from 2016, modern low-floor vehicles now run every half hour. At the same time, the number of seats per train and the timetable have been expanded. Over the next few years, several stations will be rebuilt to give our travellers comfortable and barrier-free access.